We inhaled Chicken and Bacon pies last night, which are based on a Donna Hay recipe and absolutely scrummy. Donna likes to top her pies with sliced potato...I prefer flaky puff pastry. mmmmm.
The beauty of these pies is their speed...unlike most red meat, chicken doesn't need hours to simmer and tenderise, so these babies can be on the table in under 60 minutes.
what you need
1 tbs olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
4 rashers bacon, chopped
2 x 200g chicken breast fillets, chopped
125ml white wine
250ml pouring cream
sea salt and cracked black pepper
2 sheets frozen puff pastry
one egg yolk, for brushing
what to do
- Preheat oven to 180C (355F).
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and bacon and cook for 3-4 mins. Add the chicken and cook for a further 3-5 mins or until brown.
- Add the white wine, cream, salt and pepper and cook for 1-2 mins or until thickened slightly.
- Spoon the mixture into 4 x 310ml ovenproof dishes or ramekins.
- Top each one with a piece of pastry large enough to hang over the edge of the dish. Press the pastry down firmly around the edges of the dishes, and brush evenly with the egg yolk.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 15 mins, or until puffed and golden.
- Serve with mash and seasonal veges. Enjoy!